First Glance: The Ceccoli Tarot

** Update: I have done a little video about this deck on my channel here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wukePS-iba0&list=UUC7RyC5uT0BQSbM_SX0SdNg **

A very awesome package arrived a day early yesterday and it was The Ceccoli Tarot! The second I heard the knock at the door I knew the deck was here. I tried to keep my cool when the FedEx guy gave me the package, that was very hard and I'm sure my smile was ear to ear. He must have thought I was extremely glad to see him! I posted some pics on my Instagram the second I opened the box and I was getting so many questions about the deck that I decided to do this post about it. Now, this isn't going to be a full review, but more of a "first glance impressions" of the deck if that makes sense. I will be doing a full review down the road after I have spent more time with the deck and used it more. On a side note, I do plan to do a review of The Collective Tarot and The Portland Tarot very soon, just need to find a chunk of time to do a proper write up.


The Box
I absolutely loved the artwork on the box! I have only seen the front of the box in pictures online, so I was pleasantly surprised to see more varied artwork on the box. Not much else to say really about the box, it's a typical tarot box and I never expect too much as far as quality unless it's supposed to be a special box or something.


Card Quality
The cards are nice, I did notice they were a tad thin but I'm used to my thicker cards so it may just be me. I would say the card thickness is similar to my RWS deck. Shuffles nice and very smooth. The big thing I did notice right after unwrapping them is that the deck stinks! It smells so bad, reminds me of old wall paint, not quite paint thinner but close. This will disappear over time or after a couple smudge/incense sessions so it doesn't bother me at all, was more of "wow!" factor. Also, this was just my deck, so others maybe from a different print batch may not smell.


Artwork
Ahhh... Love it! Naturally I picked up the deck because I'm a huge Mark Ryden fan and her work is very Ryden-esque and I adore it. The artwork is very imaginative and feels like the images were plucked right from dreams. I've been getting asked if the artwork was created for the deck or if the artwork was just fitted to the deck. Now, I'm not too familiar with Nicoletta Ceccoli's artwork, I've loved it but I have never dug deep into it like a collector. I am not 100% sure about this, but after digging around a bit I noticed that a lot of the artwork in this deck is also in print form, so I'm going to guess and say that some if not most of the art was fitted to the deck and not made specifically for it. This doesn't seem to affect the reading of the cards at all, in fact it flows very well with her descriptions of the cards. Also, this deck really has given me all kinds of creative freedom with interpretations, which I love!


Little White Book (LWB)
I normally don't read these or spend time looking through them since most are all the same, but I was curious about this one to see if there was any different input from the artist in there. The book is actually really nice, it's a standard LWB but the card descriptions are different. I really liked that! The descriptions were fresh (at least to me), here is one about the 10 of Swords:
The situation is ruined, and it's time to cut your losses. Grieve for what might have been, but don't stay in that dark place too long. Gather your courage and begin again.
So all in all, I love the deck so far! I'm very excited to work with it, already it is proving to be a very good deck that suits me. This morning while thinking about my daughter and such, I was shuffling the cards and a jumper flew out of the deck that just fit the moment so perfectly, so I'm confident that the deck and I will have a beautiful relationship.

People have been asking where I got this deck, I ordered my deck from Llewelyn after my Amazon pre-order was on hold due to low supply. I pre-ordered on Amazon right when it was available for pre-order and it was supposed to arrive on the 10th of October but it was then back ordered! I emailed them and apparently they didn't have enough stock come in to fill the pre-orders, so I panicked and searched everywhere. Saw Llewelyn had it in stock so I canceled my Amazon order and rebought it there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *