My ritual includes:
- Candle - for Tarot work only (use the same candle each time)
- Smudging Set - abalone shell and Palo Santo
- Crystals - whichever I'm drawn to that day or a stone that I "attached" to that deck
- My Cards - of course!
The ritual steps:
- I light my candle
- I use the candle flame to light my Palo Santo and get it smoking (using a working candle when smudging has been my "go to" for when the smoke goes out, I can light it back up again quickly instead of looking for matches or a lighter)
- When the smoke starts to twirl from the Palo Santo, wish my hands I sweep the smoke around my table space
- Then with my crystal one hand and deck in the other, I focus on the flame and take several deep breaths. I even think about the question or situation I plan to do the reading on (often times it's my daily Energy & Advice reading, so I focus on that)
- When ready, I riffle shuffle my deck once, then go about my normal shuffling and reading...
Those first few steps have really grounded my reading focus a lot more lately. I'm not normally a ritual type of person, but I do like mini rituals like these. They give me a bit of structure during the day.
When I'm completely done with my reading and journaling, I will snuff out my candle and return it all to my shelf for the next time I do a reading.